Saturday, March 14, 2009

Blog #4 (Chapter 19-20 Italy)

Michelangelo, Pieta and David
This week my blog has to focus on sculpture, as I have just completed my first sculpture after 7 months of work. My all time favorite artist in the field of sculpture is Michelangelo, and my favorite 2 sculptures are David and Pieta. Michelangelo completed the Pieta in one year when he was just 25 years old. One year later, he began the commission from the city of Florence for the statue David. This sculpture took him 3 years to complete. When you look closely at these 2 statues you will see something that very few if any artists before were able to capture, the precise musculature of the people being represented. When he was around 17 years old, Michelangelo was permitted to perform autopsies on the corpses at a local church hospital in Florence at night. Here he studied and learned anatomy, and from those studies was able to accurately represent the bone and muscle structure on his subjects in his sculpture and painting. Prior artists often draped their subjects in clothing that hid most of their body, making it easier to represent them without having to accurately represent their bodies. In these earlier works, if the body is shown naked, many would represent the muscles as rounded or soften groups of muscles, devoid of the accompanying tendons and veins. Michelangelo’s statues are so convincing in their representation of the muscle groups that it is as if the statue was really a body covered in white paint! Michelangelo carved the Pieta as a tomb monument for a French cardinal and is installed in the Vatican in Rome. He intended it to be viewed by onlookers up close, so you can stare directly into the sweet face of the Virgin holding her son Jesus. But a mentally disturbed man attacked the statue in 1972, and since then it can only be viewed behind barriers that are about 2l-0-30 feet away from the statue, making it hard to experience the statue as it was intended. The thing I personally find most fascinating about Michelangelo’s style of sculpture is contained in a quote from a sonnet that he wrote, “The greatest artist has no conception which a single block of marble does not potentially contain within its mass, but only a hand obedient to the mind can penetrate to this image” Michelangelo was able to see the Pieta and David contained within the block of marble that he carefully chose from the marble quarry in Carrara, Italy. He then “liberated” the statue from the stone!



This week, I completed my first sculpture. The title of my sculpture is “Flying Mandolin”. I worked for 7 months on creating the mandolin out of steel sheets and wire rods. I learned how to use cutting machines, TIG and MIG welders, and all sorts of files and grinders for finishing work. I then learned how to carve Alabaster, in the old style with hammer and chisels, to create the open mandolin case from which my steel mandolin is flying forth. It took far longer to create than could have imagined, but it was a very rewarding process from start to finish.

8 comments:

  1. Kimberlie, you are awesome! I too love Michelangelo's sculpture of David and Pieta- I was able to view them in person this summer on a trip to Italy. I never knew about the Pieta being attacked. How sad. It is so hard to imagine that a person so young as 25 could create such a technically precise work as Michelangelos' David. Your mandolin is fabulous! It is always amazing how long a work of art takes. My mother was a custom mosaicist and during art shows ignorant people used to comment on how "fun" that looked and that they wished they could make a living at their hobby. ha! it is a labor of love when one creates a work of art, not a hobby - your creation is full of passion. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Your sculpture is beautiful! It is very ambitious of you to learn how to carve alabaster in the old style with a chisel & hammer, definietly brings the piece together. My sister was studying abroad in Italy a few years ago and I was able to go visit her for the Thanksgiving holiday. I was able to see the replica of the Statue of David in Piazza della Signoria as well as the original. We also took a train to Rome, where we visited the Vatican and saw Pieta. Seeing these sculptures in person was truly remarkable. You have very intersting insight on these works, I did not know that Michelangelo was able to perform autopsies on the corpses at a local church hospitals, very interesting. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes kimberlie...really amazing work! btw, what did your kids think when they saw it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sculpture is amazing and its really beautiful. I like how you have the mandolin coming out of the case; the whole thing is almost abstract in nature but still its very cool. I would love to go see some of Michaelangelo's work because I think he's an amazing artist and its very interesting to see how lifelike his sculptures are and how much detail goes into them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your Flying Mandolin is amazing. Very unique and creative. I tried to take an art course years ago and found myself frustrated and let down. Art is not something that can be forced. It is something that needs to be studied and practiced constantly. I am always curious about what motivates artists to spend so much time on paintings and sculptures. To be able to get into the mids of such creativity would be a God send for me. I have since found that I am no artist (unlike yourself), but that I am able to appreciate art and find the history behind it both fascinating and thought provoking. By looking at your art I would assume that you must have a love for music. It's things like that that make art so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd really like to know where you learned about welding and carving. Are there classes to learn such things? Your sculpture is beautiful. So it took 7 months - now I have an appreciation of the time and effort that goes into such a piece.

    When I saw the Michaelangelo's David I thought it was interesting to note that the hands are actually quite large and possibly too large in relation to the rest of the body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there
    your wrok looks great and love that part that you learn to carve Alabaster in old way and your work look abstract but it convey the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there
    your wrok looks great and love that part that you learn to carve Alabaster in old way and your work look abstract but it convey the meaning.

    ReplyDelete